May 15, 2009

Harley for Sale. . .

Yes, I have decided to downsize to a smaller cruiser for now.

Yes.

Go ahead. Say it.

Camille is a big fat weenie.

Wanna buy a gorgeous 883 Sportster? It's quite the loveliest Big V-Twin you'll ever see, always garaged (um....duh). Well maintained, trickle charge feeder, added chrome (screamin Eagle pipes), a snorting, beefy hunka bike. If you mention this blog post when you call, you'll get a super secret special bloggy discount off the price. Asking $4999. What a steal for a Harley!! (here's a link to the craigslist post & photos)

I took it for a spin (that's sort of a you-feminism) on Mother's Day (between Thai lunch and Star Trek movie) and quickly realized aint NO way I'm practicing a tight cone weave with this bike to pass my endorsement test.

If you buy it, know that you will be promoting marital longevity by helping me and Dan be able to ride together, instead of taking turns like a couple of total dorks. This was a 25th anniversary gift, but let me ask you: how lame is it to celebrate a quarter century of togetherness by taking turns riding alone?

Hmm?

In case you're wondering, I'm looking for a Rebel 250 or 450. That's a Honda if you aren't bike savvy. (And if you are bike savvy---Karla---I already know what you think, but you can say it if you want to. Once.) A Honda Rebel is a smaller cruiser style bike that I might actually be able to pick up if I drop it (weighs about half as much as the Sportster) They look like a mini Harley, if that matters to anyone. Metric-heads (people who ride Japanese bikes and don't know any better) say it's the other way around. Hey, I'm no purist and have no desire to get all childish about this. Harley Davidson will always have a place in my heart. Yes, I will miss the rumble. However, I am no longer the fearless/stupid invincible teen who had never heard of high-side crashes and skin grafts.
I am a gwown up.
My mature ego will not suffer if fellow bikers throw the wrong set of finger signals at me because I'm on a metric. It's cool. I made my peace with Japan.
Here's the '02 Harley:










And here's a 1986 Rebel 250:


Care to comment? Gloves off, of course?

4 comments:

Karla Akins said...

I'm so proud of you. Why would think I would say anything at all negative? I certainly wouldn't have been able to learn to ride like I do now on a bigger bike. I love my Suzuki Intruder 850. It's not nearly as heavy as a Harley, and it is lower to the ground. I think you're making a smart move.

The Rebel is the perfect starter bike. And it's not WHAT you ride, it's just that you RIDE. I have never, ever been flipped off riding my Suzuki. Ever. Most bikers don't care. Sure, there are those hardcore bikers that call us posers, but c'mon, this is AMERICA! We are FREE TO RIDE FREE!

I am so glad you're not giving up on riding! I was afraid you were. I am really very, very excited for you!

Have FUN!

Love,
Karla

Karla Akins said...

My link didn't go through to my cycle blog: http://jesuslovesbikerchickstoo.tumblr.com/

Karin said...

I don't remember how I stumbled upon your blog, but your voice is wonderful.

Looking forward to visiting often!

Karin

Jessica Nelson said...

So cool! My dad would take it, if he could buy it. :-) Good luck selling!

ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF. . . .

RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME:

I've published five novels and 2 novellas (more about those on my website.) I've been writing all my life, but decided in 2007 to get serious about being published.

I love action movies and Jane Austen. (she’s dead, I know. I found that out when I tried to get her to endorse my novel)

They let me play Bass guitar and sing in a worship band.

I can produce 4 dozen homemade cinnamon rolls in a flash for a crowd of drooling young adults. Or publishing house editors.

I used to have a Harley. Now we have seven grandkiddos. Decent trade, really.

I am a proud Grammy. Don't even think about taking candy from my babies.

I hate shopping (Yes, I'm aware that I'm a girl)

MY ROOTS:
I've lived in Oregon all my life, spent time in Eugene (Go DUCKS!), Springfield, Reedsport, and Smith River. Which is not really a town, but a river, about 70 miles long, a tributary of the Umpqua River in southwest Oregon.

Although it's not a town, it is a community with a strong sense of pioneer history. It's cool to say you've lived there, especially if you lived there during the days when you had to take a boat to school. No joke! The old farmhouse my grandfather and my mother grew up in still stands, nestled into a narrow, pasture carpeted valley, complete with a swimmin' hole and its own 'crick'. It may turn up in one of my novels.

There's a rumor that my ancestors had a connection with the Mafia back in Sicily. I used to fantasize as a kid about a big black limo with tinted windows pulling up and whisking me away from school. Ahhh. So THAT'S why I'm having so much trouble conjugating my dangling participles now.

NOT RANDOM: I am challenged by the truth and amazed by the grace of God. And it's either in spite of or because of that grace that I hold a PhD in Learning Stuff the Hard Way.