November 1, 2015

When The Story Is Too Real

Love can’t rewrite the pages of one’s past, but it can cover a multitude of sins—one page at a time.

The Memoir of Johnny Devine, a Novel, is coming out soon, and I am excited to be sharing this story. While it's a work of fiction, so much of the character's lives, their hopes, fears, hurts, needs, etc are borne of real life and real situations. In fact, nearly everyone who has edited or read the manuscript has declared that this story feels so real, they forget they are reading fiction.

And for that, I'm glad. There are messages of very real hope woven throughout the story. 

Sometimes, it's difficult to hear stories of hope, because sometimes, we have to see what hopelessness looked like for the "hero" before we can truly understand and appreciate the hope they've found. In the case of Johnny Devine, not only it is painful to relive things he would much rather forget, he has to share certain things aloud with a woman of good, moral character, making the task even more uncomfortable.

Do you ever hear stories of lives transformed by God? Do you have difficulty hearing the pre-transformation details? When might the sordid details of past mistakes be helpful to others, and when might they best be kept private?

While you're thinking about that, let me just report that Romantic Times Book Reviews just published a review of The Memoir of Johnny Devine, and not only did the reviewer give a glowing account, she gave it a 4.5 GOLD star Top Pick rating! (5 stars are never given -- I think those are reserved for once-a-century phenomenons like To Kill A Mockingbird). I didn't realize until this review was published that Gold stars are rarely given. This is about the highest possible rating they give. I'm deeply honored, but even more, I'm excited because this might help put Johnny Devine on more "To Be Read" lists. 

Is it on yours? (Go HERE to add it to your Goodreads list)

Also: be sure to PRE-ORDER (the eBook version) and save $1 but only for a limited time. Visit my Website for links.

One last thing: If you're in the Portland/Gresham/Sandy/Boring area, I'll be having a Book Signing and Open House on Dec 19. Copies of all my books will be available. Go here for details.



No comments:

ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF. . . .

RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME:

I've published five novels and 2 novellas (more about those on my website.) I've been writing all my life, but decided in 2007 to get serious about being published.

I love action movies and Jane Austen. (she’s dead, I know. I found that out when I tried to get her to endorse my novel)

They let me play Bass guitar and sing in a worship band.

I can produce 4 dozen homemade cinnamon rolls in a flash for a crowd of drooling young adults. Or publishing house editors.

I used to have a Harley. Now we have seven grandkiddos. Decent trade, really.

I am a proud Grammy. Don't even think about taking candy from my babies.

I hate shopping (Yes, I'm aware that I'm a girl)

MY ROOTS:
I've lived in Oregon all my life, spent time in Eugene (Go DUCKS!), Springfield, Reedsport, and Smith River. Which is not really a town, but a river, about 70 miles long, a tributary of the Umpqua River in southwest Oregon.

Although it's not a town, it is a community with a strong sense of pioneer history. It's cool to say you've lived there, especially if you lived there during the days when you had to take a boat to school. No joke! The old farmhouse my grandfather and my mother grew up in still stands, nestled into a narrow, pasture carpeted valley, complete with a swimmin' hole and its own 'crick'. It may turn up in one of my novels.

There's a rumor that my ancestors had a connection with the Mafia back in Sicily. I used to fantasize as a kid about a big black limo with tinted windows pulling up and whisking me away from school. Ahhh. So THAT'S why I'm having so much trouble conjugating my dangling participles now.

NOT RANDOM: I am challenged by the truth and amazed by the grace of God. And it's either in spite of or because of that grace that I hold a PhD in Learning Stuff the Hard Way.